Load and go visa card check balance -
How do I shop for and buy a prepaid card?
Shop to find the best card for you
There are many types of prepaid cards. When you’re shopping, check to see that the card has the features you need and the fees associated with various features. Fees and fee structures for prepaid cards can be very different. Asking a few questions can help you choose the right card for your situation.
Decide where you will want to use the card, and make sure the card you pick can be used at those locations. Prepaid cards that feature a network brand (like Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover) can be used at any location that accepts that network brand. Other types of cards are good only at a specific store or group of stores, or on your public transportation system. Remember, prepaid cards may look like debit cards, credit cards, or gift cards, but they are often quite different.
The Bureau’s rule requiring these fee disclosures came into effect April 1, 2019, although it may take some time before you start seeing the required disclosures on card packages in retail stores due to phase-in rules. In time, the card packaging will include a chart that contains certain key fees and other information about the prepaid account, to comparison shop between cards at the store. The packaging will also list a website with similar information regarding fees and other key information about the card. You may want to go online to review this additional information.
When you buy
You can buy prepaid cards at retail locations (such as grocery stores and drug stores), online, over the phone, or from some banks and credit unions. If you buy the card online, you may then be issued a virtual card, or you may receive a physical card in the mail at a later time.
When you buy a prepaid card, you’ll have to pay the initial amount that you want to load onto the card, often termed the “initial load”, plus the cost of the card. Some cards require a minimum initial load.
Registering your card
Some prepaid card providers require you to register your card upon, or just after purchase, by asking you to provide certain personal information, such as:
- Full name
- Street address (no P.O. boxes)
- Date of birth
- Phone number
- Social Security number, taxpayer identification number, or other identifying number if you are not a U.S. citizen
This personal information is used to verify your identity, which may be necessary before you can use certain card features, such as reloading money onto the card or using the card online or at an ATM. Until you register the card, your prepaid card provider is not required to provide protections in case of errors or loss or theft of your card. Also, if your card offers deposit insurance, you generally will need to register your prepaid card to become eligible for deposit insurance.
Visa Services & PrePaid Cards
VISA®Services & PrePaid Cards:
Verified by VISA®
VISA® Purchase Alerts
VISA® PrePaid Cards
Enhanced Security Chip Debit Cards
Verified by VISA®back to top
Verified by VISA® is a free service that protects your existing BankFinancial VISA® Check Card with a personal password, giving you reassurance that only you can use your VISA® card online.
- Once your card is activated, your card number will be recognized whenever you purchase at participating online stores
- Enter your password in the Verified by VISA® window, your identity will be verified, and the transaction will be completed
- In stores that are not yet participating in Verified by VISA®, your VISA® card will continue to work as usual
For more information, visit the VISA® website
VISA® Purchase Alertsback to top
Once you enroll and register your card, you can receive email and/or SMS text alerts on various types of transactions as soon as your card is swiped and authorized.
BankFinancial also offers transaction based alerts through your Online Banking account. It is important that you are signed up for both alert programs so that you are notified right away if your card is used in a transaction.
Enroll in Three Steps
- Step 1) Check if your card is eligible
- Step 2) Register your mobile device and email
- Step 3) Choose the notification triggers you would like to set-up
Enroll in VISA® Purchase Alerts today!
VISA® Discountsback to top
Visa Discounts - added savings just by using your BankFinancial VISA® Check Card
How it works:
- Simply check Visa's website to access special offers from top retailers
- Browse the list of offers and choose the ones that best fit your lifestyle and current needs.
- Use your BankFinancial VISA® Check Card to purchase gifts or buy something special for yourself.
- Enjoy discounts and savings!
What could be easier? Discounts change periodically, so please check back often for new discounts!
VISA® Prepaid Cards back to top
VISA® Prepaid Cards are the convenient and secure alternative to cash or checks, providing an easy way to pay, anytime and anywhere. Now available at any BankFinancialbranch*. Already have a VISA® Prepaid Card? Check your card balance now.
- General Purpose Card - The card can be loaded and reloaded to use everywhere VISA® debit cards are accepted. They are ideal for paying bills, budgeting, direct deposit, shopping and more.
- Gift Cards - The perfect gift, it can be used everywhere VISA® debit cards are accepted. No matter what the occasion, you'll be giving exactly what they want, every time.
- VISA® Travel Card - You no longer need to carry traveler's checks or large amounts of cash when you travel. Set your spending limit, load the appropriate amount on to your card, and you're ready to go.
*The VISA® Gift Card can be used at over twenty million locations worldwide wherever VISA® debit cards are accepted. The VISA® Gift Card is issued by The Bancorp Bank pursuant to a license from VISA® a U.S.A. Inc. The Bancorp Bank; Member FDIC. Funds on the card do not expire. Card will expire no sooner than five (5) years from date of purchase. A replacement card can be requested at no cost for an expired card. $4.95 per month will be charged after 12 consecutive months of inactivity. This fee will be applied to any remaining balance. A fee of $3.95 will be charged to purchase a VISA® Gift Card. Refer to the Cardholder Agreement for additional information.
BankFinancial VISA® Debit Cards come with built-in chip technology. This gives you greater fraud protection when you use your card at a chip-activated terminal. Click here to learn more! (This should link to a separate landing page for chip cards with the info below and also what is on our current landing page for chip cards)
- Enhanced fraud protection
When you use your card at a chip-activated terminal, the embedded chip generates a one-time use code. This code is virtually impossible to counterfeit and helps reduce in-store fraud.
- Global acceptance
More merchants are accepting chip transactions every day. Whether you check out using chip technology or swipe your card, you can pay with confidence wherever VISA® Debit Cards are accepted.
- Easy to use
Simply swipe your card like you do today. However, if a chip-activated terminal is available, insert your card instead and follow the prompts. See detailed steps to the right. No matter how you pay, you're protected against unauthorized use with VISA®'s Zero Liability Policy.1 Keep in mind, you can continue to use your chip card online and over the phone, the same way you do today. Plus get cash, check your balance and more at millions of ATMs worldwide.
1. VISA® 's Zero Liability Policy covers U.S.-issued cards and does not apply to certain commercial card transactions or any transactions not processed by VISA® . You must notify your financial institution immediately of any unauthorized use. For specific restrictions, limitations and other details, please consult your issuer.
Enhanced Security Chip Debit Card Technology FAQs
Q: What is a chip card?
A: BankFinancial VISA® Debit Cards now feature built-in chip technology. You'll enjoy global acceptance plus an enhanced level of security.
Q: How does chip technology protect my information?
A: When you use your card at a chip-activated terminal, the embedded chip generates a one-time use code. This code is virtually impossible to counterfeit and helps reduce in-store fraud.
Q: Where can I use a chip card?
A: You can use your card at millions of places that accept VISA® Debit Cards, at home and around the world.
Q: Can I still swipe my card to pay?
A: Yes. If a merchant is not yet chip-activated, you can continue to swipe your card and enter your PIN. Or select CREDIT and sign for your purchase, if necessary.
Q: Does my chip card work at the ATM?
A: Yes. You can still use your card to get cash, check your balance and more. Be sure to insert the chip end of your card into the ATM with the chip facing up. Your card will remain in the ATM until your transaction is complete.
Q: Will I have to pay any fees to use a chip card?
A: No. There are no additional fees to use a chip card.
U.S. BANK VISA® GIFT CARD
Skip to main content
The gift of choice.
An all-occasion gift
Gift it for birthdays, holidays, weddings, graduations and more.
Welcome everywhere Visa debit cards are accepted in the United States.
Available in any denomination
Loaded with the dollar amount you specify, from $25 to $500.
A lost or stolen Visa Gift Card can be replaced if you know the account number2.
Keep your money safe.
An H&R Block Emerald Card is safer than carrying cash. The funds in your Card Account are insured by the FDIC up to the maximum amount permitted by law. Plus, the Mastercard Zero Liability policy protects you from unauthorized purchases, theft and fraud.
The Emerald Card is a reloadable prepaid debit card for direct deposit of your tax refund that can be used year round with easy access to your funds. The Emerald Card can be used anywhere Debit Mastercard is accepted. You can add money to your Card account at any time by receiving a direct deposit (payroll, unemployment, or government benefits), loading a check through our MyBlock mobile app, transfering money from a linked account or adding cash at participating retail reload locations.
You may apply at your nearest participating H&R Block tax office or online while using our digital tax preparation product.
You can view 12 months of statements and your recent transactions by logging in at Emerald Online. You can also obtain 24 months of written history at no charge by calling 1-866-353-1266, or by writing us at Cardholder Customer Service, PO Box 10170, Kansas City, MO 64171.
Yes, an individual cardholder can log in to Emerald Online through their MyBlock account to authorize the addition of a joint cardholder and allow that person to apply during the same online session. An individual cardholder could also authorize the addition of a joint cardholder in the tax office, and that person could present a driver’s license or another accepted form of identification and apply while in the tax office with the individual cardholder. If the new individual is approved, they will share equal ownership of the funds in the Card Account. Approved joint cardholders who applied through Emerald Online will receive a new personalized Card in the mail within 7-10 business days. Approved joint cardholders who applied in the tax office can receive an instant-issue Card immediately or they can order a personalized Card to be mailed to them.
Yes, the funds in your Emerald Card Account are FDIC insured to the maximum permitted by law. For additional information, go to FDIC.
Please call 1-866-353-1266 to report a lost or stolen card as soon as possible.
Please contact us as soon as possible at 1-866-353-1266 to minimize your losses. If you contact us within 2 business days after you learn of the loss or theft of your Card, you can lose no more than $50.00 if someone used your card without your permission. If you contact us about a fraud claim and request a Written Confirmation of Fraud form, one will be provided to you. Or, you can submit your fraud claim in writing to Cardholder Customer Service, PO Box 10170, Kansas City, MO 64171.
No. You are not allowed to exceed the available amount in your Card Account. However, if your Card Account balance should ever become negative, you will be responsible for repaying the amount of the negative balance.
1. Card registration required. Certain restrictions apply. Contact the issuer of your card immediately to report your lost or stolen card. You can use the customer service toll-free number listed on the back of the card. Be sure to keep a record of the Mastercard card number. Your issuer may need this information to cancel the card and issue a replacement. You can also contact Emergency Services for additional assistance. In the event your card is lost or stolen, your card issuer will not hold you responsible for unauthorized purchases made on your card. Terms and Conditions.
2. Certain terms, conditions and exclusions apply. Cardholders need to register for this service. This service is provided by Generali Global Assistance, Inc. Please see your guide to benefits for details, or call 1-800-MASTERCARD.
3. In order for you to be paid early, your payroll or benefits payment provider must submit the deposit early. It is important to note that your payroll or benefits payment provider may not submit the deposit or payment early each payment period. Be sure to ask your payroll or benefits payment provider when they submit your deposit information to the bank for processing. Faster access to funds is based on comparison of traditional banking policies and deposit of paper checks from employers and government agencies versus deposits made electronically. Direct deposit and earlier availability of funds is subject to payer’s support of the feature and timing of payer’s funding.
4. Standard data and messaging rates may apply from your wireless service provider.