Bank holding company headquartered in McLean, Virginia
Capital One Tower in Tysons, Virginia
|Founded||July 21, 1994; 27 years ago (July 21, 1994)|
Richmond, Virginia, U.S.
|Founder||Richard Fairbank, Nigel Morris|
|Headquarters||Capital One Tower|
|United States, Canada, United Kingdom|
(Chairman, President and CEO)
Stephen S. Crawford
(Head of Finance and Corporate Development)
R. Scott Blackley
|Products||Retail banking, credit cards, loans, savings|
|Revenue||US$26.033 billion (2020)|
|US$3.203 billion (2020) |
|US$2.714 billion (2020) |
|Total assets||US$421.602 billion (2020) |
|Total equity||US$60.204 billion (2020) |
Number of employees
|51,985 (2020) |
|Subsidiaries||Wikibuy, ShareBuilder, Paribus, United Income, BlueTarp, Adaptive Path, Confyrm, Capital One Securities, Critical Stack, Monsoon Company, Finnoble Solutions, Notch|
|Capital ratio||11.2% (2018)|
|Footnotes / references|
Capital One Financial Corporation is an American bank holding company specializing in credit cards, auto loans, banking, and savings accounts, headquartered in McLean, Virginia with operations primarily in the United States. It is on the list of largest banks in the United States and has developed a reputation for being a technology-focused bank.
The bank has 755 branches including 30 café style locations and 2,000 ATMs. It is ranked 97th on the Fortune 500, 9th on Fortune's 100 Best Companies to Work For list, and conducts business in the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom. The company helped pioneer the mass marketing of credit cards in the 1990s. In 2016, it was the 5th largest credit card issuer by purchase volume, after American Express, JPMorgan Chase, Bank of America, and Citigroup.
With a market share of 5%, Capital One cedar rapids bank and trust mortgage rates also the second largest auto finance company in the United States, following Ally Financial.
The company's three divisions are credit cards, consumer banking and commercial banking. In the fourth quarter of 2018, 75% of the company's revenues were from credit cards, 14% were from consumer banking, and 11% were from commercial banking. Capital One has consistently ranked as one of the best places to work for, appearing in multiple Glassdoor's Best Places To Work reports. In 2020, Fortune magazine ranked Capital One at number 24 on their Fortune List of the Top 100 Companies to Work For in 2020 based on an employee survey of satisfaction, rising to 9 on the 2021 list.
Richard Fairbank and Nigel Morris founded Capital One in 1988 with the support of Richmond, Virginia-based Signet Bank. Fairbank became the company's CEO on July 27, 1994, after Discover bank checking account offer code Financial was spun off from Signet Financial Corp. Oakstone Financial was later renamed to Capital One in October 1994, and the spin-off was completed in February 1995. The newly formed credit card company was ranked among the top ten credit card issuers in the United States after signing up more than five million customers. Capital One worked as a monoline, deriving all of its revenues from the credit card business. Even as a monoline, it succeeded in the credit card business due to its use of data collection to target personalized offers directly to consumers.
In 1996, Capital One moved from relying on teaser rates to generate new clients to adopting more innovative techniques that would attract more customers to their business model. At the time, it was losing customers to competitors who offered higher ceilings on loan balances and no-annual-fee accounts. The company came up with co-branded, secured, and joint account credit cards. In mid-1996, Capital One received approval from the federal government to set up Capital One FDB. It meant that the company could now retain and lend out deposits on secured cards and even issue automobile installment loans.
Monoline credit card company (1994–2004)
On July 21, 1994, Richmond, Virginia-based Signet Financial Corp (now part of Wells Fargo) announced the corporate spin-off of its credit card division, OakStone Financial, naming Richard Fairbank as CEO. Signet renamed the subsidiary Capital One in October 1994.
At that time, Capital One was a monoline bank, meaning that all of its revenue came from a single product, in this case, credit cards. This strategy is risky in that it can lead to losses during bad times. Capital One attributed its relative success as a monoline to its use of data collection to build demographic profiles, allowing it to target personalized offers of credit directly to consumers.
Capital One began operations in Canada in 1996.
Expansion into auto loans (1996–present)
In 1996, Capital One expanded its business operations to the United Kingdom and Canada. This gave the company access to a large international market for its credit cards. An article appearing in the "Chief Executive" in 1997 noted that the company held $12.6 billion in credit card receivables and served more than nine million customers. The company was listed in the Standard & Poor's 500, and its stock price hit the $100 mark for the first time in 1998.
Throughout its history, Capital One has focused on making acquisitions of monolines in various related sectors. In 2005, the company acquired Louisiana-based Hibernia National Bank for $4.9 billion in cash and stock. It also acquired New York-based North Fork Bank for $13.2 billion in 2006. The acquisition of smaller banks reduced its dependency on the credit business alone. Other companies acquired by Capital One include Netspend for $700 million in 2007, Chevy Chase Bank for $520 in 2009, IDG Direction division for $9 billion in 2011, and General Electric's Healthcare Financial Services Unit for $9 billion in 2015.
During the subprime financial crisis of 2008, Capital One received $3.56 billion in investments from the US Treasury courtesy of the Troubled Asset Relief Program in 2008. The company was forced to close its mortgage division, GreenPoint Mortgage, due to the losses incurred by investors. It paid back $3.67 billion to the US Treasury for the repurchase of the company stock.
In July 1998, Capital One acquired auto financing company Summit Acceptance Corporation.
In 1999, Capital One was looking to expand beyond credit cards. CEO Richard Fairbank announced moves to use Capital One's experience with collecting consumer data to offer loans, insurance, and phone service.
In October 2001, PeopleFirst Finance LLC was acquired by Capital One.
The companies were combined and re-branded as Capital One Auto Finance Corporation in 2003.
In late 2002, Capital One and the United States Postal Service proposed a negotiated services agreement (NSA) for bulk discounts in mailing services. The resulting three-year agreement was extended in 2006. In June 2008, however, Capital One filed a complaint with pokemon trading card game online account USPS regarding the terms of the capital one 360 mobile app agreement, citing the terms of the NSA of Capital One's competitor, Bank of America. Capital One subsequently withdrew its complaint to the Postal Regulatory Commission following a settlement with the USPS.
Onyx Acceptance Corporation was acquired by Capital One in January 2005.
Expansion into retail banking (2005–present)
While many other monolines were acquired by larger, diverse banks, Capital One expanded into retail banking with a focus on subprime customers.
Capital One acquired New Orleans, Louisiana-based Hibernia National Bank for $4.9 billion in cash and stock in 2005 and acquired Melville, New York-based North Fork Bank for $13.2 billion in cash and stock in 2006, which reduced its dependency on credit cards from 90% to 55%.
In 2007, Capital One acquired NetSpend, a marketer of prepaid debit cards, for $700 million.
During the 2007 subprime mortgage financial crisis, Capital One closed its mortgage platform, GreenPoint Mortgage, due in part to investor pressures.
In 2008, Capital One received an investment of $3.56 billion from the United States Treasury as a result of the Troubled Asset Relief Program. On June 17, 2009, Capital One completed the repurchase of the stock the company issued to the U.S. Treasury paying a total of $3.67 billion, resulting in a profit of over $100 million to the U.S. Treasury.
The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission criticized Capital One's conduct during the crisis, claiming that they understated auto loan losses during the financial crisis of 2007–2008. In 2013, Capital One paid $3.5 million to settle the case, but was not required to directly address the allegations of wrongdoing.
In February 2009, Capital One acquired Chevy Chase Bank for $520 million in cash and stock.
In January 2011, Capital One acquired Canada-based Hudson's Bay Company's private credit card portfolio from Synchrony Financial, then known as GE Financial.
In June 2011, ING Group announced the sale of its ING Direct division to Capital One for $9 billion in cash and stock. On August 26, 2011, the Federal Reserve Board of Governors announced it would hold public hearings on the Capital One acquisition of ING Direct, and extend to October 12, 2011, the public comment period that had been scheduled to end August 22. The move came amidst rising scrutiny of the deal on systemic risk, or "Too-Big-to-Fail," performance under the Community Reinvestment Act, and pending legal challenges. A coalition of national civil rights and consumer groups, led by the National Community Reinvestment Coalition, were joined by Rep. Barney Frank to challenge immediate approval of the deal. The groups argued that the acquisition was a test of the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act, under which systemically risky firms must demonstrate a public benefit that outweighs new risk before they are allowed to grow. Kansas City Federal Reserve Bank head Thomas M. Hoenig was also skeptical of the deal. In February 2012, the acquisition was approved by regulators and Capital One completed its acquisition of ING Direct. Capital One received permission to merge ING into its business in October 2012, and rebranded ING Direct as Capital One 360 in November 2012.
In April 2011, Capital One signed a deal with Kohl's to handle Kohl's private label credit card program that was previous serviced by Chase Bank for a seven-year period for an undisclosed amount. The contract between the two companies was extended in May 2014.
In August 2011, Capital One reached a deal with HSBC to acquire its U.S. credit card operations. Capital One paid $31.3 billion in exchange for $28.2 billion in loans and $600 million in other assets. The acquisition was completed in May 2012. The acquisition also included private issued credit cards for such companies as Saks Fifth Avenue, Neiman Marcus, and Lord & Taylor that were previously handled by HSBC.
On February 26, 2012, along with several other banks, Capital One announced support for the Isis Mobile Wallet payment system. However, in September 2013, Capital One dropped support for the venture.
In 2012, Capital One closed 41 branch locations.
In 2015, Capital One closed several branch locations to leave 174 operating branches in the D.C. metro area.
On February 19, 2014, Capital One became a 25% owner in ClearXchange, a Peer-to-peer transaction money transfer service designed to make electronic funds transfers to customers within the same bank and other financial institutions via mobile phone number or email address. ClearXchange was sold to Early Warning in 2016.
In January 2015, Capital One acquired Level Money, a budgeting app for consumers.
On July 8, 2015, the company acquired Monsoon, a design studio, development shop, marketing house and strategic consultancy.
In 2015, Capital One acquired General Electric's Healthcare Financial Services unit, which included $8.5 billion in loans made to businesses in the healthcare industry, for $9 billion.
In October 2016, Capital One acquired Paribus, a price tracking service, for an undisclosed amount.
In July 2019, Capital One signed a deal with Walmart to handle Walmart's private label and co-branded credit card programs that was previously serviced by Synchrony Financial.
In November 2021, the company introduced Venture X, a travel rewards credit card, with a $395 annual fee.
Exit from mortgage banking (2006–2007 and 2011–2017)
In November 2017, President of Financial Services Sanjiv Yajnik announced that the mortgage market was too competitive in the capital one 360 mobile app rate environment to make money in the business. The company exited the mortgage origination business on November 7, 2017, laying off 1,100 employees. This was the second closure; the first occurred on August 20, 2007, when GreenPoint Mortgage unit was closed. GreenPoint had been acquired December 2006 when Capital One paid $13.2 billion to North Fork Bancorp Inc. The re-emergence into the mortgage industry came in 2011 with the purchase of online bank ING Direct USA.
In May 2018, the company acquired Confyrm, a digital identity and fraud alert service.
In November 2018, Capital One acquired Wikibuy, a shopping comparison app and browser extension from an Austin, Texas start-up business; Wikibuy has no connection with Wikipedia/Wikimedia.
Capital One operates 3 divisions as follows:
- Credit cards – Capital One issues credit cards in the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom and is the 3rd largest credit card issuer, after JPMorgan Chase and Citigroup. As of December 31, 2018, Capital One had $107.350 billion in credit card loans outstanding in the United States and $9.011 billion of credit card loans outstanding in Canada and the United Kingdom, with credit cards representing 47.3% of total loans outstanding.
- Consumer banking – offers banking services, including checking accounts, saving accounts, and money market accounts via its branches and direct bank as well as retail and auto loans. As of December 31, 2018, the company had $2.864 billion in retail loans outstanding and $56.341 billion in car finance loans outstanding, representing 22.9% of total loans outstanding.
- Commercial banking – As of December 31, 2018, Capital One had $70.333 billion in loans outstanding secured by commercial, multifamily, and industrial properties, representing 28.6% of total loans outstanding.
Since 2001, Capital One has been the principal sponsor of the college football Florida Citrus Bowl, which has been called the Capital One Bowl since 2003. It sponsors a mascot challenge every year, capital one 360 mobile app the winner on the day of the Capital One Bowl. The name amazon prime promotional credit balance the stadium was changed in 2014 to the Orlando Citrus Bowl and was then changed again to Camping World Stadium in 2016, following a multi-year naming rights sponsorship with Camping World.
Capital One is one of the top three sponsors of the NCAA, paying an estimated $35 million annually in exchange for advertising and access to consumer data. Capital One also sponsored the EFL Cup, an English Soccer Competition, from 2012 to 2016. The company sponsored Sheffield United F.C. from 2006 to 2008. Since 2009, the University of Maryland Terrapins football team has played at Capital One Field at Maryland Stadium (formerly Byrd Stadium), a naming-rights deal inherited in the bank's acquisition of Chevy Chase Bank. In 2017, the company became the sponsor of the Capital One Arena in Washington D.C.
In 2018, to celebrate the Washington Capitals' second-ever Stanley Cup Finals appearance, the firm temporarily changed its logo by replacing the word "Capital" with the Capitals' titular logo, without the "s" plural.
Capital One operates some charitable programs. The accountability organization National Committee for Responsive Philanthropy has been highly critical of Capital One's relatively low rate of giving, stating that "Capital One's philanthropic track record is dismal". The organization pointed out that Capital One's donations of 0.024% of revenue were much less than the industry median of 0.11% of revenue. Capital One has disputed the groups figures, saying that ". In 2011 alone, our giving totals are more than 6 times greater ($30 million) than the number given by the NCRP".
Criticism and legal actions
In July 2012, Capital One was fined by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency and the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau for misleading millions of its customers, such as paying extra for payment protection or credit monitoring when they took out a card. The company agreed to pay $210 million to settle the legal action and to refund two million customers. This was the CFPB's first public enforcement action.
Automated dialing to customers' phones
In August 2014, Capital One and three collection agencies entered into an agreement to pay $75.5 million to end a consolidated class action lawsuit pending in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois alleging that the companies used an automated dialer to call customers' cellphones without consent, which is a violation of the Telephone Consumer Protection Act of 1991. It is notable that this legal action involved informational telephone calls, which are not subject to the "prior express written consent" requirements which have been in place for telemarketing calls since October 2013.
July 2019 security breach
Capital One publicly acknowledged on July 29, 2019, that they had found unauthorized access had occurred ten days earlier by an individual who had breached the account and identity security of 106 million people in the United States and Canada. The FBI arrested Paige Thompson, who had previously worked as a software engineer for Amazon Web Services, Capital One's cloud hosting company. Capital One declared that Thompson had accessed about 140,000 Social Security numbers, a million Canadian social insurance numbers; 80,000 bank account numbers, and an unknown number of names and addresses of customers. Capital One began offering free credit monitoring services to those affected by the breach.
Thompson's employment at Amazon appears to have ended in September 2016. Amazon stated that the security vulnerability she used to access Capital One could have been discovered by anyone, the information that facilitated her activity was not gained from work at Amazon, and that she gained access via "a misconfiguration of the (Capital One-designed) web application and not the underlying (Amazon-designed) cloud-based infrastructure".
Details of the breach
Forensic analysis[vague] determined Thompson's actual hacking activity occurred in March 2019, then she posted the information to different outlets over the next three months. In April she posted what came to be known[by whom?] as the "April 21 Files", a trove of leaked data along with instructions on how to access the company's credentials for more data extraction. In July a white-hat alerted Capital One to Thompson's hacking activity. Thompson pleaded not guilty to charges of wire fraud and computer fraud and abuse. During the investigations and subsequent data freeze, millions of Capital One accounts were locked; their owners were unable to process financial transactions, meet payments, or gain access to their financial records.
Capital One Response
Critics lambasted the bank's effort to downplay the hack while investigations were ongoing, and described the bank as more concerned about its image than the needs of its clients. Several Capital One customers stated that the first time they heard about the hack was through the media and the bank did not disclose the breach or explain its implications to affected customers. On social media and in the mainstream press, Capital One's contradictory July 2019 press statement was mocked for saying "No bank account numbers or Social Security numbers were compromised," but then listing hundreds of thousands of bank account numbers and social security numbers that were compromised.
Federal Reserve Action
On August 6, 2020, the Federal Reserve Board of Governors announced a cease and desist order against Capital One resulting from the breach. The order mandated, among other things, significant improvements in Capital One's governance, risk management and compliance (GRC) practices.
Lawsuits were filed against Capital One and its employees in federal and circuit courts.
Additional Lawsuits were filed against both Amazon and GitHub, alleging they were aware of the exploit but did not act to fix or patch the vulnerability
Relative to other large banks, Capital One has received fewer sanctions or default judgments against it. But some[who?] allude this is a result of its close proximity to Washington, D.C. and possible relations with federal regulators. In 2015 the bank disclosed that it was under federal investigation for bank fraud, money laundering, and possible racketeering charges. No further information was given and government investigators would only confirm that it was under scrutiny for "unspecified charges".
In 2018, Capital One was fined $100 million for failure to monitor, detect, and prevent money laundering. Charging documents specified Capital One failed to file suspicious activity reports, had deficiencies in its risk assessment, remote deposit capture and generally had weaknesses that compromised national bank security controls. The bank was the subject of a larger investigation that alleged funds were siphoned out of US jurisdiction to safe havens.
In January 2021 Capital one was fined $390 million by FINCEN for anti-money laundering control failure for a now-defunct, small portfolio of check-cashing businesses that Capital One acquired around 2008 which subsequently exited from in 2014. Capital One later admitted that it failed to file thousands of suspicious activity reports and lapsed on filing currency transaction reports on around 50,000 reportable cash transactions valued around $16 billion.
Notable office buildings
- ^ abcde"Capital One Financial Corporation 2020 Form 10-K". United States Securities and Exchange Commission. February 25, 2021. Retrieved March 4, 2021.
- ^"Capital One Financial: Number of Employees 2006-2021 | COF".
- ^ abcdefgh"IR Overview".
- ^"Capital One 360 Café Locations". Capital One.
- ^"Fortune 500: Capital One". Fortune.
- ^"Capital One: #9th on 100 Best Companies to Work For in 2021". Fortune.
- ^MYERBERG, PAUL (January 1, 2010). "Capital One Bowl: No. 13 Penn State (10-2) vs. No. 12 L.S.U. (9-3)". The New York Times.
- ^Comoreanu, Alina (February 10, 2017). "Market Share by Credit Card Issuer". WalletHub.
- ^CHARNIGA, JACKIE (October 10, 2018). "Ally Financial leads in Q2 auto loan market share, Experian says". Automotive News.
- ^"Glassdoor's Best Places To Work". Capital One. Retrieved Capital one 360 mobile app 12, 2020.
- ^Snouwaert, Jessica. "The 25 best companies to work for, based on employee satisfaction". Business Insider. Retrieved April 1, 2020.
- ^"100 Best Companies to Work For". Fortune. Retrieved May 11, 2021.
- ^"COMPANY NEWS; SIGNET BANKING TO SPIN OFF CREDIT CARD BUSINESS". The New York Times. July 28, 1994.
- ^Conn, David (October 12, 1994). "Signet renames credit card subsidiary Capital One". The Baltimore Sun. Archived from the original on October 22, 2020. Retrieved March 14, 2019.
- ^Milligan, Jack (June 3, 2011). "Capital One Charts a New Course". Bank Director.
- ^ abPerez, Saul (March 5, 2015). "Capital One's history: From credit cards to a diversified bank". Market Realist.
- ^Wheatley, Malcolm (November 1, 2001). "Capital One Builds Entire Business on Savvy Use of IT". CIO magazine.
- ^"CAPITAL ONE PLANS PURCHASE OF AUTO FINANCING COMPANY". The New York Times. Bloomberg L.P. July 17, 1998.
- ^Mcnamee, Mike (November 21, 1999). "Capital One: Isn't There More To Life Than Plastic?". Bloomberg L.P.
- ^Pedchenko, Alex (March 10, 2017). "TOP 6 companies using NodeJS in production". Medium.
- ^"Capital One Financial Agrees to Acquire PeopleFirst Inc.; Expands Auto Financing Business" (Press release). U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. September 21, 2001.
- ^"PeopleFirst Changes Brand to Capital One Auto Finance" (Press release). PR Newswire. June 27, 2003.
- ^"Postal Service Files Capital One Negotiated Service Agreement". September 20, 2002.
- ^"Experimental Rate and Service Changes to Implement Negotiated Service Agreement with Capital One: OPINION AND RECOMMENDED DECISION"(PDF). May 15, 2003.
- ^Campanelli, Melissa (August 25, 2006). "PRC Says OK To Capital One NSA Extension". Direct Marketing News.
- ^"COMPLAINT OF CAPITAL ONE SERVICES, INC. REGARDING DISCRIMINATION AND OTHER VIOLATIONS OF LAW BY THE UNITED STATES POSTAL SERVICE"(PDF). Postal Regulatory Commission. June 19, 2008.
- ^Yurcan, Bryan (January 8, 2009). "USPS, Capital One dispute remains in discovery". Direct Marketing News.
- ^"Postal Regulatory Commission Proceedings". United States Postal Service.
- ^Clabaugh, Pay my chase southwest credit card (January 12, 2005). "Capital One completes Onyx acquisition". American City Business Journals.
- ^"Capital One Completes Acquisition of Hibernia Corporation" (Press release). U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. November 16, 2005.
- ^"Capital One Completes Acquisition of North Fork Bancorporation" (Press release). U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. December 1, 2006.
- ^Moyer, Liz (March 4, 2006). "A Hot Time In Banking". Forbes.
- ^"Capital One Acquires Nation's Prepaid Card Leader NetSpend". American Banker. August 8, 2007.
- ^"Capital One Closes Wholesale Mortgage Unit". CNBC. Associated Press. August 20, 2007.
- ^Bauerlein, Valerie (August 21, 2007). "Capital One to Close Its GreenPoint Unit". The Wall Street Journal.
- ^"Capital One Financial Closes Wholesale Mortgage Unit". CNBC. Associated Press. August 20, 2007.
- ^"Capital One, Form 8-K, Current Report, Filing Date Nov 18, 2008"(PDF). secdatabase.com. November 18, 2008.
- ^"CAPITAL PURCHASE PROGRAM Transaction Report"(PDF). Tarp Transactions. United States Treasury. November 17, 2008.
- ^"Capital One, Form 8-K, Current Report, Filing Date Jun 17, 2009". secdatabase.com. June 17, 2009.
- ^Protess, Ben (April 25, 2013). "DEALBOOK; Capital One Settles Charges It Understated Loan Losses". The New York Times.
- ^"Capital One to Buy Chevy Chase Bank". The New York Times. December 4, 2008.
- ^Fitzpatrick, Dan (December 4, 2008). "Capital One to Acquire Chevy Chase Bank". The Wall Street Journal.
- ^Goldfarb, Zachary A.; Appelbaum, Binyamin (December 4, 2008). "Capital One Awoke To Its Dream Deal". The Washington Post.
- ^"Capital One Completes Acquisition of Chevy Chase Bank" (Press release). PR Newswire. February 27, 2009.
- ^"Capital One Completes Acquisition of Hudson's Bay Company's Credit Card Portfolio". Capital One (Press release). January 11, 2011.
- ^"ING To Sell ING Direct USA to Capital One" (Press release). ING Group. June 16, 2011.
- ^"Federal Reserve Board announces public meetings on the notice by Capital One Financial Capital one 360 mobile app to acquire ING Bank" (Press release). Federal Reserve System. August 26, 2011.
- ^Felsenthal, Mark (August 25, 2011). "Fed's Hoenig Says Doesn't See Recession Looming". Reuters.
- ^Pearlstein, Steven (August 28, 2011). "Steven Pearlstein: Time to say no to bank consolidation". The Washington Post.
- ^"Capital One Completes Acquisition of ING Direct" (Press release). PR Newswire. February 17, 2012.
- ^"Conditional Merger Approval"(PDF). Office of the Comptroller of Currency. October 17, 2012. Archived from the original(PDF) on February 16, 2013. Retrieved February 13, 2014.
- ^Ruiz Switzky, Bryant (November 8, 2012). "ING Direct rebranded as Capital One 360". American City Business Journals.
- ^Douglas, Danielle (April 10, 2011). "Capital One wins deal to back Kohl's credit cards". The Washington Post.
- ^"Kohl's first chatham bank rincon ga Capital One Announce Extended Contract for Private Label Credit Card". Capital One (Press release). May 15, 2014.
- ^Wilchins, Dan; Thomas, Denny (August 10, 2011). "Capital One bulks up U.S. cards with HSBC deal". Reuters.
- ^Kiernan, John S. (May 3, 2012). "Most HSBC Credit Cards Become Capital One Credit Cards". WalletHub.
- ^Douglas, Danielle (August 10, 2011). "Capital One snags HSBC credit card business". The Washington Post.
- ^Yurcan, Bryan (February 27, 2012). "Isis Adds Three Banks to its Mobile Wallet". InformationWeek.
- ^Mlot, Stephanie (September 20, 2013). "Capital One Drops Support for Isis Mobile Wallet". PC Magazine.
- ^Ellis, Blake (January 25, 2013). "Say goodbye to more bank branches". CNN.
- ^Medici, Andy (May 4, 2016). "Here's how much Capital One is spending this year to close, renovate its branches". American City Business Journals.
- ^"CAPITAL ONE JOINS CLEARXCHANGE NETWORK"(PDF) (Press release). pymnts.com. February 19, 2014.
- ^"Early Warning Completes Acquisition of clearXchange" (Press release). Early Warning. January 12, 2016. Archived from the original on June 17, 2017. Retrieved May 29, 2017.
- ^Perez, Sarah (January 12, 2015). "Capital One Acquires Budgeting App Level Money". TechCrunch.
- ^Perez, Sarah (July 8, 2015). "Capital One Acquires Oakland-Based Design And Development Firm Monsoon". TechCrunch.
- ^"Capital One Completes Acquisition of GE Capital's Healthcare Financial Services Lending Business" (Press release). PR Newswire. December 1, 2015.
- ^Perez, Sarah (October 6, 2016). "Capital One acquires online price tracker Paribus". TechCrunch.
- ^Yurcan, Bryan (October 12, 2016). "Capital One Adds to Its Growing List of Fintech Deals". American Banker.
- ^"Walmart and Capital One Sign Credit Card Program Agreement". Walmart (Press release). July 26, 2018.
- ^Adams, Dia (November 10, 2021). "Capital One Venture X Card 2021 Review". Forbes. Retrieved November 23, 2021.
- ^Ramirez, Kelsey (November 16, 2017). "Capital One suddenly exits mortgage and home equity business". HousingWire.com.
- ^Surane, Jennifer (November 7, 2017). "Capital One Exits Mortgage Origination Business, Cuts 1,100 Jobs". Bloomberg L.P.
- ^Wilchins, Dan (August 20, 2007). "Capital One slashes jobs, mortgage industry swoons". Reuters.
- ^Merle, Renae (June 16, 2011). "Capital One Bank to acquire ING Direct USA". The Washington Post.
- ^Perez, Sarah (May 11, 2018). "Capital One acquires digital identity and fraud alert startup Confyrm". TechCrunch.
- ^Nash, Andrew (May 11, 2018). "Confyrm Joins Capital One to Fuel Consumer Identity Services at Scale". Medium.
- ^DiCamillo, Nathan (May 30, 2018). "How Capital One sees digital identity as a business opportunity". American Banker.
- ^Son, Capital one 360 mobile app (November 20, 2018). "Capital One buys tech start-up used by millions to price-check while shopping on Amazon". CNBC. Retrieved September 9, 2020.
- ^"Capital One Bowl will be renamed". Retrieved November 18, 2019.
- ^"Stadium History". Retrieved November 18, 2019.
- ^Dosh, Kristi (November 3, 2013). "Capital One maximizing March's madness". ESPN.
- ^Hornblass, JJ (April 11, 2013). "Cap One Uses March Madness to Mine Customer Data, Even After Tournament". Bank Innovation.
- ^Steinberg, Dan (August 9, 2017). "Verizon Center to become Capital One Arena, starting now". The Washington Post.
- ^Medici, Andy (August 9, 2017). "Verizon Center to become Capital One Arena, starting now". American City Business Journals.
- ^Pimpo Jr., Stephen (May 27, 2018). "Capital One changes website logo to support Caps ahead of Stanley Cup finals". WJLA-TV.
- ^Brandt, Caroline (May 27, 2018). "Capital One Bank just made a Caps-themed update to its logo and we're here for it". NBC Sports.
- ^ ab"Doubt Over Capital One's Commitment to Philanthropy" (Press release). National Committee for Responsive Philanthropy. October 4, 2011. Archived from the original on March 6, 2014. Retrieved February 10, 2014.
- ^"Charity group wary of Capital One-ING merger". NBC News. Associated Press. October 5, 2011.
- ^"Capital One fined for misleading millions of customers". BBC News. July 18, 2012.
- ^"Capital One, Form 8-K, Current Report, Filing Date Jul 18, 2012"(PDF). secdatabase.com. July 18, 2012.
- ^"Capital One to pay $210 million in fines, consumer refunds". CNN. July 18, 2012.
- ^Dale, Margaret A. (August 19, 2014). "Capital One to Pay Largest TCPA Settlement on Record". The National Law Review. Proskauer Rose. ISSN 2161-3362.
- ^Slawe, Meredith C.; Madway, Brynne S. (August 11, 2014). "Capital One Agrees to $75 Million Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) Settlement". The Citibank credit card minimum payment interest Law Review.
- ^ abLazarus, David (February 17, 2014). "Capital One says it can show up at cardholders' homes, workplaces". Los Angeles Times.
- ^Alix, Amanda (February 19, 2014). "Capital One to Customers: You Can't Hide From Us". The Motley Fool.
- ^"Frequently Asked Questions". Capital One. Archived from the original on July 30, 2019. Retrieved July 30, 2019.
- ^McLean, Rob (July 30, 2019). "A hacker gained access to 100 million Capital One credit card applications and accounts". CNN. Retrieved July 30, 2019.
- ^"404 Not Found". Washington Post. Archived from the original on July 30, 2019.
- ^https://www.cbsnews.com/news/capital-one-hacker-amazon-employee-paige-thompson/ What we know about accused Capital One hacker Paige Thompson.
- ^Dellinger, AJ. "Capital One Data Breach Stamped Complaint". documentcloud.org. Retrieved February 28, 2020.
- ^"Capital One Took Nearly Two Weeks to Disclose Its Hack and Customers Still Don't Know if They Were Affected". July 31, 2019.
- ^Villas-Boas, Antonio. "Capital One was hacked and people on social media are slamming the bank's response". Business Insider. Retrieved February 28, 2020.
- ^Dellinger, A. J. "Capital One Hit With Class-Action Lawsuit Following Massive Data Breach". Forbes. Retrieved February 28, 2020.
- ^"United States of America Before the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System"(PDF) (Press release). Federal Reserve Board. August 6, 2020.
- ^"Capital One Class Action Filed Over Data Breach". Top Class Actions. August 1, 2019. Retrieved February 28, 2020.
- ^"Colson Hicks Eidson Files Class Action Lawsuit Against Capital One For Negligence In Massive Data Breach". Colson Hicks Eidson. August 16, 2019. Retrieved February 28, 2020.
- ^Moritz-Rabson, Daniel (August 2, 2019). "GitHub "actively encourages" hacking, suit filed against company after Capital One hack says". Newsweek. Retrieved February 28, 2020.
- ^Andriotis, AnnaMaria (February 24, 2017). "Capital One Discloses Probe Into Anti-Money Laundering Program". The Wall Street Journal. ISSN 0099-9660. Retrieved February 28, 2020.
- ^"Capital One Bank fined $100 million over money-laundering controls". Reuters. October 23, 2018. Retrieved February 28, 2020.
- ^"OCC Assesses $100 Million Civil Money Penalty Against Capital One". occ.treas.gov. October 23, 2018. Retrieved February capital one 360 mobile app, 2020.
- ^"Capital One Fined Millions for Ineffective Money-Laundering Protection". Investopedia. Retrieved October 3, 2021.
- ^"FinCEN Announces $390,000,000 Enforcement Action Against Capital One, National Association for Violations of the Bank Secrecy Act Источник: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/capital-one-mobile/id407558537
What’s on the Capital One Mobile app? All of your accounts, and so much more.
Whether you’re out in the world or feeling right at home, you can manage your money with ease:
- View balances and export statements
- Pay bills and take care of loans
- Check in on your credit with CreditWise
- Activate a credit or debit card when you need it
- Redeem rewards on the go
- Send and receive money with friends and family using Zelle®
With the Capital One Mobile app, you can .
- Stay informed when you enable alerts and purchase notifications
- See everything that happens on your card with detailed transactions
- Instantly lock your credit or debit card from anywhere
- Get answers from Eno, your Capital One assistant
Download the app for better banking with Capital One.
Internet access is needed to use the mobile app. Check with your Internet service provider for details of specific fees and charges. Service outages may occur. Capital One customers are responsible for regularly checking their account statements. Push, email, and SMS alerts and notifications, including purchase notifications, must be enabled to be received. CreditWise monitoring and alerts may not be available if the information you enter at enrollment does not match the information in your file at one or more consumer reporting agencies or you do not have a file at one or more consumer reporting agencies. Features may not be available to all customers. Actual experiences may differ from those depicted. Additional terms and limitations apply.
© 2021 Capital One Bank (USA), N.A., and Capital One, N.A. Members FDIC. Zelle and the Zelle related marks are wholly owned by Early Warning Services, LLC and are used herein under license. To read about the Terms of your download, check out the End User License Agreement.
Thanks for using Capital One Mobile. We make regular updates to our app to ensure your experience is top notch. Paychex employee customer service new version of our app includes new features to allow you to do more in the app and improvements to make it faster and more reliable!
- Defect fixes
- UI fixes
Ratings and Reviews
4.8 out of 5
Good app but quirky lately (UPDATED)
I’ve been using this app capital one 360 mobile app years and prefer it over competitor’s offerings. I like that notifications can be configured and received for every transaction. However within the past week or so, these notifications have been arriving very late — like many hours after the transaction has occurred. E.g. if my wife makes a purchase in the morning on her card I won’t see the transaction notification until the afternoon and I have to ask her if that was a legitimate transaction or not. It’s not very helpful, please look into why these delays are occurring.
EDIT: reduced from 5 stars to 2 stars because the delays in the purchase notifications have gotten absurd. I have iOS and SMS notifications enabled for purchases and both have been arriving OVER TWLEVE HOURS AFTER the actual purchase time. This is plainly ridiculous. Please fix!
EDIT2 (14Jan2020): OK back to five stars for now! The notifications issue seems to have been resolved as the “Instant Purchase Notifications” are back to being “instant”. Overall I have no qualms about this app as it’s easy to use for the few basic things I need it to do, with the notifications thing being at the top of the list. Thank you for the fix!
Not practical for deposit account holders
From what I hear this app and Capital One as a whole is AMAZING for credit card holders but for those that own deposit accounts this app really isn’t that useful! I’ve been banking with Capital One for years and I can honestly say I miss a lot of the features the Capital One Wallet app used to provide. I’d love the developers of this app to take their deposit account holders into consideration and add features like alerts when a deposit is made to my account as well as alerts when a transaction is made over a certain dollar amount. To be clear, when I say alerts I mean actual notifications to my device sent from the app that appear on my home screen. I don’t want to have to receive alerts via text that is so outdated plus I have enough text threads as it is between work and family. I’m beginning to feel like Capital One isn’t interested in investing in their deposit account holders now or even in the future. I believe this company is more focused and geared towards their credit and lending services. To be fair Chase not only provides these basic notification services to customers but they also have added the ability to view what you spend money on weekly to their app. I do not want to close my accounts and go over to another bank because I truly enjoy banking with Cap. One. I love everything from the customer service all the way down to the debit card design. But I have a feeling I will leave if I don’t see any changes being made.
We appreciate you taking time to provide us with your feedback regarding the app and its features. We're always looking at ways to make our app be the best it can be, so we'll be sure to pass along your feedback to our dev team. If you have any additional feedback to share with us, feel free to update your review.
Need huge improvements on the app for notifications etc.
For example: I would love to see notifications for my debit card on the app. that would be super helpful to see your spending of any amount of money. So all information regarding your debit card is important too. You can only get texts which helps too, but if you can have texts+notifications all that working at the same time that could be better. I’m pretty sure that we need that on direct deposit account holders too! I can tell that CO credit cards works way more informative, but other bank service apps has the ability to see notifications for debit card spending already. I mean why not have developers/engineers take a look at the benefits and the full potential of this app. Just revamp this app use your skills think big. invest on your product/app/services to get it fixed at its fullest UI customer service, tools, options plus content. Capital One hasn’t been very successful with these updates. so keep an eye on these issues/suggestions think about this! Be the best bank app ever. don’t wait for weeks or even complete months to improve it. Remember when it comes down to $$$ anything really matters!
Data Used to Track You
The following data may be used to track you across apps and websites owned by other companies:
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Financial Info
- Contact Info
- User Content
- Usage Data
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Capital One Services, LLC
- 341 MB
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later. capital one 360 mobile app
- Requires iPadOS 13.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2021 Capital One Bank (USA), N.A., and Capital One, N.A. Members FDIC. Zelle and the Zelle related marks are wholly owned by Early Warning Services, LLC and are used herein under license.
Get all of your passes, tickets, cards, and more in one place.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.
More By This Developer
You Might Also Like
How to Cancel Capital OneИсточник: https://justuseapp.com/cancel/407558537/capital-one-mobile
How to Cancel Capital One Mobile Subscription on Paypal.
To cancel your Capital One subscription on PayPal, do the following:
- First log into your PayPal account at www.paypal.com .
- Click on the settings tab which is beside the logout option.
- Press "Payments" from the menu provided to you and click on "Manage Automatic Payments" in the Automatic Payments dashboard.
- You'll be shown a series of merchants' agreement you've transacted before. Click on "Capital One Mobile" to cancel.
- You will be shown a confirmation page. Click on the "Cancel Automatic Payments" tab to affirm that you want to stop making payments to Capital One Mobile.
- Then click "Done" capital one 360 mobile app the verification page to complete the unsubscription.
What to do if your subscribed directly on Capital One's website?
Here's how to cancel your Capital One subscription when billed through a payments provider that is not the Appstore, Playstore or Paypal.
Sometimes, you may start a subscription directly on a company's website without using an extra layer of security like Paypal or Apple. To unsubscribe, you might have to sign into Capital One Mobile's website or directly reach out to the payments provider.
Generally, here are two steps you can take if you find yourself in that fix:
- Finding the company's information, then reaching out. Contact Capital One Mobile here →
- If the company has an app they developed in the Appstore, you can try contacting Capital One (the app developer) for help through the details of the app.
Capitol One Mobile app review 2021
Capitol One Mobile by Capitol One is the app you need to manage your Capitol One bank account, your Capitol One credit card, and your CapitolOne360 account from your iOS device.
The CapitalOne mobile banking app lets you check recent transactions and balances, pay your bills, using your online banking sign-in details. It's a one-stop online banking app for Capital One customers.
Credit card customers can set up funding accounts to pay your bill, schedule upcoming payments, and pay off your bill. With this Capital One bank app for iPhone, you can view your Capitol One Deals, and redeem credit card rewards. You can also use Purchase Eraser to erase previous travel purchases.
Capitol One bank customers can pay bills from your checking account, transfer funds between accounts, and find ATMs and bank branches.
Capitol One 360 customers can bump money between phones, find any of the AllPoint ATMs, make mobile check deposits using CheckMate, and send Person2Person payments.
The app protects your privacy and security using industry standard practices.
Capitol One Mobile was updated to Version 4.0.54 and is available in 17 languages. The update gave Capitol One 360 customers full access. The app has a total of 2518 customer ratings with an average of three out of five stars.
I really like the CheckMate feature and how it allows me to make mobile check deposits. If you’re a Capitol One customer, check out this app!Источник: https://www.apppicker.com/reviews/3390/Capitol-One-Mobile-app-review-2021
Rebecca, a former police officer, is an experienced writer and editor. She has used all kinds of different tech and prefers Apple products and apps. Her areas of expertise are in all things Apple, health and fitness, the Paleo lifestyle, and legal topics.Источник: https://finovate.com/feature_friday_capital_one_360_offers_remote_check_deposit_via_simple_file_upload_no_smartphone_requ/
I don’t know how I missed this small, but meaningful, improvement to the remote deposit state of the art. Since last April, Capital One 360 (formerly ING Direct) has allowed customers to make deposit via the mobile phone app, and (drum roll) via file upload.
Yes, you heard it right. Simply snap a picture of the check (front and back), save the files, upload to CapOne360, and your deposit is complete (see screenshot below). That means check deposit is available to everyone, not just those with smartphones or scanners.
Does that mean more work for Capital One operations? Sure, processing an uploaded .jpg will take more time. But for the relatively low deposit volume of its savings-account-heavy base, it’s probably not material. And the idea here is to get more deposits, not save on transaction costs.
Will there be more fraud? There will likely be more garbage (duplicate pictures, fuzzy images, and perhaps even a few suspicious attempts to deposit duplicate images). But will file uploads create a statistically significant amount of actual fraud losses? It seems unlikely, though I’m making an educated guess.
Bottom line: The decision to accept any old .jpg was brilliant. Make it as easy as possible to do business with you. That’s been a driving force behind ING Direct’s success (that and the bouncing orange ball, RIP).
While it’s not going to make our Digital Banking Hall of Fame (note 1), it’s important enough to grab a belated OBR Best of the Web for “raising the bar” in remote banking (note 2). Nice work.
Capital One 360 landing page for its CheckMate remote deposit service (22 Mar 2013)
Step 1: Users must enter check amount ($) and which account to deposit to (and optional memo)
Step 2: Interim instruction page
Step 3: Agree to the terms and conditions
Step 4: Choose images for front and back of check
Note: Example images, since I didn’t have any checks on my machine
Step 5: Review images & click “Deposit Now”
1. The Digital Banking Hall of Fame is updated annually and published in our year-end Online Banking Report (subscription).
2. Capital one 360 mobile app 1997, our Online Banking Report has periodically given OBR Best of the Web awards to companies that pioneer new online- or mobile-banking features. It is not an endorsement of the company or product, just recognition for what we believe is an important industry development. In total, 89 companies have won the award. This is the second for Capital One (previous winner). ING Direct also won previously. Recent winners are profiled in first community bank charleston sc Netbanker archives.
The interface on my account doesn't have the button to add cash. My bank account is added but there's only the withdraw money button. There's also only three options at the bottom where the investing and bitcoin page aren't there. I downloaded the app and signed up yesterday. Is this a common problem? can someone help me out please? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Bro vo randm he matlab ke ketne be malsakte he ok 9664228981 whatsapp paravo
Allahabad bank par kaise number check karte hai